• Between the years 1946 and 1964, 76 million people were born, these are the Baby Boomers.
• In 2011, the Baby Boomers began turning 65.
• The generation prior to the Baby Boomers was much smaller in size, with only 47 million births. (Silent Generation, born 1928-1945).
• As a result of this shift, the U.S. population will age over the coming decades, and by 2030, when all the Baby Boomers will be 65+, one in five Americans is projected to be 65+.
• Between 2000 and 2010, the 60-64 age group had the largest percentage increase (55.6%) followed by the 55-59 age group (46.0%) Communication references.
• As people age they become increasingly resistant to advertising.
• To connect with Boomers, do not use hyperbole. Don’t exaggerate. This approach is perceived as hucksterism.
• They are satisfied with their lives, so don’t idealize aging or evoke images that are connected to their younger life.
• Self-centeredness is more common among younger people, ego-centered ads turn off older customers.